A two day short course on surface characterization will be held on the Georgia Tech Campus from Thursday, August 17th to Friday, August 18th.
Course details/ summary – A detailed introduction to the principles and practice of two techniques for analyzing the first few monolayers of a surface: XPS -the most common surface analytical method and ToF-SIMS a mass-spectroscopy-based method complementary in many ways to XPS. Taken together they allow:
- The detection of the elemental composition of a sample
- The detection of even trace elements down to ppm of a monolayer
- The chemical bonding between elements
- The lateral and vertical distribution of elements in the top layers of a sample
- The surface bonding and band structure of compounds including work function and band occupancy
More details and registration can be found here.